A limited-access by-pass for Highway 34 was planned for the south side of Fairfield. One of the properties purchased for the right-of-way was Mary Leather's farmstead.
When some citizens realized that this historic farm (which had deteriorated over time) would be destroyed, they engaged the Iowa DOT in negotiations and saved the part of the farmstead that contained the historic barns.
The owner gifted the historic part of the farmstead to the Jefferson County Board of Supervisors. In February of 2005 the Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee was formed to oversee restoration and development of the farmstead.
The Maasdam Barns Development Project was begun to develop a tourist, recreation and education center on the farmstead property. The project would showcase pre-industrial-revolution agriculture and highlight the achievements of the Louden and Turney companies, the largest local manufacturers during that era, and national contributors to pre-industrial and industrial agriculture.
Both of the 1910 barns apparently used Louden barn designs, and were built by J. G. Maasdam. The earlier 1906 barn was built for Ellsworth Turney, before he sold the farmstead to J. G. Maasdam.
The Maasdam Barn Project is funded by grants and donations, and much of the restoration work was and will be performed by volunteers.
Restoration work on the Stallion Barn began in 2005.
Scroll down to view the Timeline for the Maasdam Barns Property
In May 2007 an application was made by the Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee for the 7.62-acre historic section of the farmstead to be entered onto The National Register of Historic Places. Notification of acceptance was received in the summer of 2008.
A Museum & Visitor Center was needed, but since none of the original farmhouses still existed, another building was sought. A suitable building became available when Doris Strait was required to remove her house from downtown Fairfield, so she agreed to donate it to us. Arrangements were made to move it to the Maasdam Barns complex, where it was converted into the Museum & Visitor Center.
By the time of our Open House in October, 2011, volunteers had renovated the museum, and displays and exhibits had been professionally designed and installed.
Volunteers, with some help from contractors, had also completed the Mare and Show Barn's exterior and interior work, and placed displays and exhibits within. Construction of the infrastructure, such as the parking lot, had been contracted out and completed.
Many smaller projects are still underway.
A section of the Fairfield Loop Trail, the 16-mile recreational trail that encircles Fairfield, was planned to run through the farmstead. But when a new Health Center was built on the site just to the north of the farmstead, the trail was moved to the borderline area between the two properties.
The Iowa Historic Property Study of the Maasdam Farmstead (PDF), prepared for the Iowa Department of Transportation (January 2002), contains history, photos and diagrams of the barns and the old farmhouses.
See "About the Farmstead", a piece written by Keith Shafer in May 2005, who was instrumental in saving this farmstead.
And more details about the Evergreen Ridge Stock Farm are on the "What are the Maasdam Barns?" page.