Stallion Barn at the Maasdam Barns

Stallion Barn at the Maasdam Barns

Stallion Barn

Stallion Barn

The Stallion Barn was the first barn to be restored (by volunteers) in 2006.  It was built in 1910 by J. G. Maasdam, probably using barn plans from the Louden Machinery Company here in Fairfield.

It contains sturdy stalls for 2 Percheron stallions, used for breeding purposes.

They had to be kept well away from the mares, so their barn was at the edge of the farmstead.

In 2005-2006 repairs were made, the barn was painted, and the roof was re-shingled by volunteers.

A Louden hay carrier is in the loft, and it still works.

  new icon   View a narrated YouTube video by Werner Elmker of how the Louden Hay Carrier works.


Click here for more photos and information.

*The black and white photo below is from the Historic Study prepared for the Iowa DOT in 2002.  Photo taken in Sept 2001.

Before restoration, north side, Sept 2001.
Stallion Barn in 2001

Before restoration, the south side, Sept 2001.
Stallion Barn in 2001

During restoration, the south side, late 2005.
Stallion barn

After restoration, north side, May 2013 (Restored in 2006).
Stallion Barn in 2013

Back to top

Click on the map to find us.

Click here to see the Louden Machinery Company website
Link to Louden Machinery Company website.

Partially funded by REAP

© 2009-2018 Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without express written permission from the Maasdam Barns Preservation Committee.
Updated 02-10-20.
Contact us at: Email