Jefferson County, Iowa
M-F 9-12 & 1:30 – 4:30pm
Phone / Fax:
Phone: (641) 472-2561
Fax: (641) 209-3398
901 North 8th Street
Fairfield, Iowa 52556
Environmental Health Department / Sanitarian
The Environmental Health Department is responsible for the environmental health for the citizens of Jefferson County.
- Provide enforcement of and information about the County Ordinance regarding septic systems (PDF file).
- Specify, permit and inspect all new septic systems.
- Provide septic inspections at Time of Transfer (all applicable transfer of property must have a septic system inspection)
Note: As of July 1, 2009, the State of Iowa has jurisdiction over Time of Transfer inspections (See State website).
Criteria for Time of Transfer Septic System Inspection (PDF).
Time of Transfer Inspection Exemptions (PDF).
Note: The new owner must apply for a new Discharge Authorization Permit
The Notice of Intent Form is on the DNR website (This form goes to the County Sanitarian).
- Provide information about septic system use and maintenance:
Caring for Your Septic System and More Caring information (PDF files).
(click to download/view PDF)
- RADON – Provide information about radon.
January of each year is Radon Action Month which is a good time to test your home for radon.
Radon test kits can be purchased locally or by going to www.lchh.org.
Go here for more information or here, or lung.org
or call the Iowa Dept. of Public Health Radon Hot Line: 800-383-5992
- Food inspections in Jefferson County are conducted by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals. For information or an inspection, call 515-281-6538. The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals is responsible for administering and enforcing the Iowa Food Code. (Updated 10/20/15) Visit their website here
- Note: The National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation provides on-line courses:
For ServSafe Manager:
For ServSafe Food Handler
Related Links & Resources (Offsite):
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Iowa Department of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health. – FAQs about Mold (PDF).
- From the EPA Mold and Moisture website
Bed Bug information
- Iowa Dept of Public Health
- EPA – Bed Bugs-Get Them Out and Keep Them Out
- Illinois Dept of Public Health
- A Beyond Pesticides Factsheet
- Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force
- Vermont Dept of Health, about bedbugs
New – Lyme Disease, from the Iowa Department of Health website
West Nile Virus, from the Iowa Department of Public Health
Zika Virus, from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
Lead Poisoning: How to Protect Iowa Families, the brochure, has been updated and approved by EPA for continued use in Iowa –
Rabies information, from the Iowa Dept of Health
Asbestos, from a website from the United States Environmental Protection Agency where you can learn about Asbestos
Avian Influenza Information, from the CDC