Organization: Jefferson County Ambulance Service
Status: Full-Time-Pay to be determined based on years of experience
Date Posted: June 1, 2023 until filled
Description of Position:
● Provide direct patient care in the pre-hospital setting.
● Cover on-call hours as directed and per departmental need.
● Review and ensure compliance with all applicable protocols, policies, and procedures.
● Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement process.
● Attends monthly staff meetings and training programs.
● Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and code.
● Perform additional duties as assigned.
● Operate ambulance equipment and respond to radio transmissions
● Lead and coordinate the team responding to an emergency
● Evaluate the patient’s condition on the scene and perform preliminary diagnosis
● Attend to injuries or sudden illnesses by applying a variety of pre-hospital simple and advanced treatments (first aid, CPR, administering injections and oxygen etc.) or surgical procedures
● Use tech equipment and tools to stabilize patients or provide immediate treatment
● Monitor patient’s condition en route to the hospital
● Collaborate with interested parties (police, firefighting unit, doctors etc.)
● Write and submit concrete and accurate reports on incidents
● Adhere to established medical protocols and procedures as well as legal guidelines and health and safety standards
● Keep abreast with new treatment and medical procedures through continuous training
● Keeping a professional attitude when operating in high stress situations/environments.
● Maintain a team oriented mindset at all times.
● Minimum of 1 years of paramedic experience in providing emergency care to patients with a 911 ambulance service in the rural pre-hospital is preferred but not required.
● Knowledge of National Incident Management System and Emergency Preparedness.
● High School Graduate or equivalent is a requirement.
● Current Iowa Certification of EMT/AEMT, AHA BLS is a requirement.
● Completion of DHS Mandatory Reporter Training. Certification must be presented at time of hire or completed prior to initial start date.
● Take Emergency Vehicle Operation Course initially and yearly updates.
● Must pass criminal background check, drug screen, physical examination, agility screening, and have a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
● Proper radio etiquette is a must. Previous experience with 10 codes preferred but not required.
● Class D driver’s license is a requirement.
● Full-time status employees must be available to work on a full-time basis including holidays, evenings, and weekends when necessary. Additional outside employment is only permitted if it is approved by the EMS Director through the Board of Supervisors and does not interfere with assigned duties.
● Must have proof of auto insurance.
● Must pass the initial 90 day probationary period.
● Must maintain HIPAA requirements and confidentiality at all times.
Full Time:Two 24 hour shifts per week
Part Time: No more than 30 hours every two weeks
PRN: As needed based on staffing requirements
● Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● The work may be performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, kneeling, climbing, and descending stairs or ramps, balancing, stooping, reaching, and lifting.
● The work is often performed while wearing PPE and frequently requires the carrying of bags and equipment. The ability to use hands to operate objects, tools, or controls is necessary.
● The position requires the ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
● Pass a basic pre employment physical.
● Health, dental, vision, life, long term/short term disability, and ADD
● Paid Vacation after a full year of employment
● Continuing education provided
Send Resumes to
Director of Operations: Brian Thomas
Phone number: (817) 908-1983
Jefferson County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, SIT will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.