Jefferson County Iowa Logo

Treasurer’s Office

Jefferson County, Iowa

Home 9 Treasurer’s Office

Contact Info

Treasurer: Mark Myers

Elected official
Assumed office 2018
Term expires 2026

Office Hours:

Mon-Fri 8am – 4pm

Phone / Fax:

Property Tax: (641) 472-2349
Motor Vehicle: (641) 472-2340
Driver License: (641) 472-2349
Fax: (641) 469-4562


Jefferson County Courthouse
(Main floor)
P.O. Box 308
Fairfield, Iowa 52556

Check Facebook for More Timely Announcements from the Treasurers Office

Treasurer’s Office Description & Duties

The Treasurer is responsible for the receipt, management, disbursement, financial reporting, bonds and investment of all monies paid to the County.

This department primarily deals with and serves as an agent for the:

  • State of Iowa Department of Transportation (motor vehicles / titles / registration)
  • Iowa Driver and Identification Services (drivers license / permit)
  • Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance (property taxes / tax sales)

NOTE: for boats and offroad vehicles, contact the Recorder’s Office

Pay Online

Accepted online payment methods: eCheck, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.

Pay By Mail

If you would like to mail your payment, please make checks out to the Jefferson County Treasurer and send them to:

Jefferson County Treasurer
PO Box 308
Fairfield, IA 52556

Drivers License

  • Drivers License appointments are STRONGLY SUGGESTED and can be made online ( or by calling the office.
  • Walk-ins will be done as time allows.
  • All Customers need to stop in the Motor Vehicle/Tax room to check in. You will be allowed into/out of the DL room by the staff member on duty (like a doctors office). Customers should not arrive more than five minutes before appointment and will be asked to wait in the lobby. If a customer is more than five minutes late, that appointment will be cancelled.
  • We encourage everyone to use for anything that can be done remotely.

Driver’s License FAQ

When can I renew my driver’s license?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

You can renew up to 180 days before and 60 days after your expiration date. You can always renew late, but if your license has been expired for more than one year you will have to retake the written and skills tests.

How much will my license cost?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

A simple renewal (with no endorsements) will be for 8 years and will cost $32 dollars. ($4 per year).

I lost my driver's license, how can I get a new one?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Make an appointment and we’ll reissue.  You will need to bring your social security card or number to prove your identity.

How much will a Non-Operator ID cost?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

A Non-Operator ID costs $8 and is good for 8 years. Same documents are needed to get an ID as to get a driver’s license.

I got my license renewed but the expiration is wrong (i.e. – the paper copy says it’s only good for 1 month)

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Yes, the paper license expires in 30 days.  Your real plastic should arrive in the mail within that time frame. If it has not arrived in 30 days, please call the number on the back of the paper copy to see if it has been returned to them, if they can track it for you, or if they can give us permission to reissue.

How does my child get a school permit?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

They must have taken driver’s education and hold their permit for 6 months with no accidents or citations. They will need to fill out a Minor School Affidavit and have it signed by their principal. Most schools have these at their disposal. 


We are excited to offer the Skip the Trip driver knowledge testing program at FMS, FHS, Cardinal and Pekin! Passing the knowledge test is the first requirement needed for an individual to advance through the Graduated Drivers Licensing process.

The operator’s knowledge test has historically only been available at Driver’s License Service Centers or at County Driver’s License stations, but now is available at your school through an online portal. Skip the Trip provides an opportunity to work with you so that less time is spent away from school, work, and other activities by accessing the testing requirement in a more convenient location.

Students will be given a packet that includes:
– Iowa Drivers Manual
– Parents Supervised Driving Program Manual
– Quick Reference Guides for Instruction Permits, Minor School and Intermediate licenses
– Letter to students and parents from the Treasurer’s office
– Ink pen and bracelet provided by the Iowa Donor Network.

My child drives to their other parent's house every other week. Can we put two addresses on their school permit?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Yes, as long as they are the parents. No other address can be put on the form. No address out of the school district is allowed. Put the second address under “Additional address that student intends to drive from” on the Minor School Affidavit.

I’m 16, what do I need to do to get my license?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

You will need to bring in a parent and your current permit.  You must have taken driver’s ed, held permit for one year, and have a clean driving record for the past six months.

I’m 17, what do I need to do to get my full license?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

You will need to bring in a parent to sign if you are under 18. You must have held the intermediate license for a year with a clean record. After you turn 18, those requirements are no longer needed. 

Motor Vehicle & Property Tax (Same Office)

  • MV/Tax transactions will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Overflow customers will be asked to wait in the lobby.
  • Our drop box will still be available for those who do not wish to come into the courthouse. The box will be checked throughout the work day.
  • Property tax/motor vehicle payments can be paid though the mail (PO Box 308), over the phone (641-472-2340/2349) or online using the links below. There is also a drop box located by the north doors that will be checked throughout each work day. 

Motor Vehicle FAQ

If paying registration online, where can I find my PIN?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Your PIN is specific to you and should not change so you can use it from year to year. The PIN is located on your renewal notice in the top right-hand corner. If you cannot find it, you can contact our office at (641) 472-2340.

Can I put a vehicle title into someone else’s name?

Your Subtitle Goes Here
No. The new owner needs to be present at the time of transfer or have the appropriate forms completed beforehand. If you are transferring a title on behalf of another person, you may download Form 411007 from the Iowa DOT website. They must complete and sign this form.

How do I get a replacement title?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Download Form 411033 from the Iowa DOT website.

There is a 5-day waiting period if the original title is lost.  (If the original has been altered  or spoiled in some way, please submit the original title to us with Form 411033 and we  will process a replacement title in the same day.)

Anybody whose name is on the face of the title MUST sign the replacement application.
The replacement title must be ordered where the title was made (county specific). The fee is $25.00.

How do I order personalized/vanity license plates?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Personalized license plates can be ordered online on the Iowa DOT website.

How do I get a salvage title vehicle inspected?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

You must complete the inspection form on the DOT website 

Questions about abandoned vehicles?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Visit the Iowa DOT website for more information.

Property Tax FAQ

When are property taxes due?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Our office runs on a fiscal year, not a calendar year so this means:

  • First half taxes are due September 1st, delinquent October 1 
  • Second half taxes are due March 1st, delinquent April 1  

If a customer wants to pay the full year taxes at one time, they will typically pay the whole year in September.

How can we pay taxes?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

You may pay by any of the following convenient ways:

  1.  Through the mail. Postmark must be by September 30 for the first half payment and March 31 for the second half payment to avoid penalty.
  2. In our drop box located by the north door of the courthouse. The dropbox is checked every morning and every afternoon before close.
  3. Over the phone by credit card for a 2.25% fee.
  4. In our office at the Courthouse from  8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  5.  Online through the Iowa Treasurer’s website.  When searching online, only search by ONE parameter and remember less info is better.
    • If you wish to search by name, enter the last name, (i.e. Doe, J)  Doing this will bring up every recorded parcel that includes Doe, J but it ensures the website finds your property.
    • If you wish to search by parcel, enter 10 numbers to search by (i.e. 0001234567).
    • If you wish to search by address, enter only the house number (i.e. 23). Doing this will bring up every address with 123, but it ensures the website finds your property.

Where do I find out what I paid for taxes last year?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Your payment history can be found on the Beacon Schneider website

  • Once here, scroll down to the section “Tax History”
    • You’ll find columns for due date, amount, paid (yes or no) and date paid.  If you scroll down a little further, just past the pie chart, you’ll find 
  • You can also print PDF copies of your tax statements by finding the section “Tax Statements” (located just below the pie chart)
    • If you’re gathering this information for income tax purposes, you’ll likely need to print/view two years worth of statements. Payment for March will be on the previous year and September payment will be on the current years statement.  

Where do I file for homestead credit?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

Almost all credits are applied for through the Assessor’s office in person or by calling them at 641-472-2849.

What is the penalty if property taxes are paid late?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

1.5% penalty is assessed per month after the due date until the tax sale, which is held every June. 

Once the property taxes are sold at tax sale, the penalty assessed jumps to 2% per month.

What and when is a tax sale?

Your Subtitle Goes Here

The tax sale is the sale of any unpaid property taxes within the county as of the first of June. 

The tax sale is held electronically on the third Monday in June.


What is a REAL ID?

All Iowans with current licenses or ID’s, click here for information on obtaining a REAL ID before May 7th, 2025!

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver’s licenses.”

Notice: County Courthouse Offices will be closed on Thursday, July 4th and Friday, July 5th, 2024 in observance of Independence Day.

Temporary Polling Location Change: Fairfield 2nd Ward will vote at the County Engineer's Office, 901 N 8th St., Fairfield effective for the June 4, 2024 Primary Election.